Rule of Law: Government in all of its actions is bound by rules fixed and announced beforehand - rules which make it possible to forsee with fair certianty how authority will use its coercive powers in given circumstances and to plan one's individual affairs on the basis of this knowledge.
(F.A. Hayek) The Road to Serfdom

Monday, April 5, 2010

Day in Court

I was successful in court, my client is now divorced. I had to do a "prove up", which means that I explain to the court what it is that we are asking for. Then the judge asks questions, and I answer what  can on behalf of the client. The judge then makes sure that the client understands exactly what is happening and will be the result of his order. Finally, he orders the divorce. I then take the file to the clerk to get a certified copy so that my client can get her name changed back to her maden name.

It was very difficult to remain calm and have a stoic face to hide the nerves and excitement of doing my first divorce. The advantage of this client for my first divorce was that she was already seperated and the divorce was already in place in everything but legal nature. Therefore, myclient was not as emotional as some people who are getting divorced might have been. This was a great experience for my first divorce. My next major legal step is going to be depositions of officers of a corporation. Thanks for reading and I look forward to telling you more about my legal experiences.

No comments: