Rule of Law: Government in all of its actions is bound by rules fixed and announced beforehand - rules which make it possible to forsee with fair certianty how authority will use its coercive powers in given circumstances and to plan one's individual affairs on the basis of this knowledge.
(F.A. Hayek) The Road to Serfdom

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Law School Update

I am in my last two months of law school and have been persnally reviewing the strengths and weaknesses of my education. Law school does a great job of teaching the law. On the other hand, it does a horrible job at teaching the pratical side of the law. There was a client that another student had yesterday, who had so much emotion that she could not get the story she was telling out acurately. The clerk ho was helping her was more concerned about the clients well being than getting the facts. Compassion is great, but not at the expense of missing information. The number one job of a legal office is to perform the task at hand. A legal office is not a therapy session. The duty of a lawyer is to find the facts and advocate for the client. I will ensure that my staff is compassionate when I have my own legal office, but not at the expense of knowing the case.

No comments: