Rule of Law: Government in all of its actions is bound by rules fixed and announced beforehand - rules which make it possible to forsee with fair certianty how authority will use its coercive powers in given circumstances and to plan one's individual affairs on the basis of this knowledge.
(F.A. Hayek) The Road to Serfdom

Friday, October 26, 2007

Friendship

Look to your left and right an what do you see? How many people are you willing to put your life in the hands of? These questions inevitably arise in the life of everyone. Probably more than once. When someone thinks of their friends, and in this sense I mean family, spouses, etc., I would argue there are three categories. These are the inner circle, the outer circle, and acquaintances. I think that the size of a persons circles is proportional to the ability to trust the individuals within it. Therefore the inner circle is probably three individuals at most. These are the three people in the world that you would trust to drop whatever they are doing and come to your side. Regardless of their opinion of the relative worth of your problem as related to their own situation. Then you have your outer circle, This is the group of friends that you would ask for help and would probably get it, but if you dig down deep inside, I mean way deep, would you unconditionally trust them with everything? Finally there are your acquaintances. These people know you and might help you with small things but your relative importance is only in the context of your relationship. The test of a true friendship is your bond after leaving the context of your relationship.
In addition to these thoughts, I was thinking about the core of what a friendship is. If have broken this down to two elements. First, a friend is a social companion with whom you enjoy spending time with. The second element is the proverbial shoulder to lean on. You friendship should be a safety net for the problems you might encounter. The old adage that there is safety in numbers applies. Well, it is something to think about. Look deep inside and see if you can identify your inner circle.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Hello Jon,

I hope I am in your inner circle...as you are in mine...

All is well here...we have baseball registration tonight for Logan...gosh, I just thought we finished baseball! Well, I suppose they need to have everything ready for the spring so they have us sign up now.

Linnea will be gone tomorrow from 8am-3pm for pit practice...and now she has informed us that she is volunteering for the Senior Citizen Harvest Dance with the Up With The Arts Club she is a member of at Shepard. So she won't be coming home between pit practice and the dance which starts at 530pm. I guess Grandma is going to try and go to the dance. I am not sure if I am going to go with her since I am not a Senior!!! We'll have to see...Consequently, she won't be able to phone you tomorrow since she won't be home until after 10pm. I guess we now will shoot for a Sunday phone call if the "princess" is home. I will still give you a call tomorrow though...

The kids are going to carve their pumkins on Sunday...their excited to do this (even Linnea at her age, although when we went to get the pumpkins she was "too cool" to pick out a pumpkin so I picked one out for her...hehe!)

The builder is now suppose to come here Saturday at 3:00pm...I am not holding my breath!

Well, I can't chat here long...I have to leave with the boys for baseball registration...

Have a good Friday evening Jon...I know you usually go out with friends tonight...enjoy!

Love You!
Wendy

Wendy said...

Oops! One more thing before I forget...I was going to email you the "hippo" clip I told you about. I know why you didn't receive it...I am still using your Monmouth address. I need an updated address for you...I will get it from you the next time we talk. Love ya!

PS You see Jonathan, I can chat and chat and chat and chat and chat and chat and chat and chat, etc just like at home...the only difference is I don't have my coat on and I'm not standing in the family room saying that I am going to go....makes ya feel like home, huh???? LOL!!! Sure miss ya!