Rule of Law: Government in all of its actions is bound by rules fixed and announced beforehand - rules which make it possible to forsee with fair certianty how authority will use its coercive powers in given circumstances and to plan one's individual affairs on the basis of this knowledge.
(F.A. Hayek) The Road to Serfdom

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Meaning of "Life"?

In my last submission, I thought deeply about the comfort of words. The meaning of how they are processed by the brain is a product of two distinct factors. The first factor is the book definition of the word. The second is usage of the word in the history of the individual. Regarding the first factor, there are usually a number of definitions for a word that can explain the meaning of the word. Let me explain an example: the word "fee" can have at least two definitions. It could be a fine or charge that one might have to pay, or it could be the beginning of conveyance of property. I never knew the second definition until three weeks ago. Being a business man, I would never have imagined that I would ever allow the definition to default to anything other than a charge. In only three weeks, I have not only learned a new definition but my default has now changed. Life experience has the power to alter the path that the mind processes.
I can't begin to explain how my mind is different but there was constant beatings telling my colleagues and I that we "will" think like a lawyer. What does that mean? Does that mean we are always looking for a tort (civil) action? Does this mean that we are constantly analysing in a linear and progressive fashion. Is it necessary to identify all of the elements of everything you do. There is no doubt that any of my classmates immediately think of three elements when I say the "doctrine of promissory estoppel". I wonder if they think of the elements to purchasing a gallon of milk? In order to purchase the milk, you need to have an offer to purchase milk. You need to have actual milk to sell. You need to have an acceptance of a customer to buy milk. The customer needs to assent (agree) to pay the purchase price for milk. Then the customer needs to tender the consideration (money). Finally the store needs to accept the consideration.
Just looking at the preceding explanation, assent, consideration, and elements, are probably three words that had different default meanings to me just two months ago. Life experience is a powerful tool that you should not turn you back on. When you turn back around, you might be a different person.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Hello to my favorite nephew,

I just read your last passage Jonathan...pretty deep.
I must say...I have NEVER spent that much time thinking about a gallon of milk. However, that may be why you are where you are...and I am where I am...hehe!!!
I suppose they have you living/breathing/sleeping law, and consequently that will change you inside and out. I surely hope in three years we will still be able to sit in the backyard on the swing and carry on a conversation...hehe! You know I am just teasing you...
Remember what Logan says, "Jonathan sure isn't very smart, it's takin' him a long time to finish school..."
Well, you know that we are very proud of you. Keep up the good work Jon. It's amazing what you have learned and accomplished in just two months. I do believe that law school is definitely your calling...I can hear that your enjoying every minute of it...sometimes whether you realize it or not.
Everything is going well here...OH, by the way...the builder didn't show up tonight...just thought I would keep you posted on that situation.
I will let you go for now, hopefully we will talk soon!
We're sending lots of hugs and kisses...see you soon!
Wendy